Vietnam and Qatar established diplomatic relations on 8 February, 1993. The Chancellery of the Embassy of the State of Qatar was established in January 2010
Since the diplomatic relation between Qatar and Vietnam was established, exchange visits at governmental & ministerial levels are the main focus in engaging Qatar-Vietnam ties.
- First Prime Minister H.E Hamad bin Jassim bin Jabor Al Thani visited Vietnam in January 2007, bringing along many new opportunities for cooperation between the two countries, especially in the field of investment, finance and trade.
- Minister of Labor and State Social Affairs H.E.Mr. Sultan Bin Hassan Al-Dhabit Al-Dosari visited Vietnam in January 2008, met with Vietnam’s Minister of Labor, War Invalids and Social Affairs H.E.Ms. Nguyen Thi Kim Ngan, signed the Labor Cooperation Agreement.
- Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affair H.E. Mr. Hamad bin Jassim bin Jabor Al Thani visited Vietnam in Apri 2008.
- Qatar’s Acting Minister of Business and Trade H.E.Mr. Khalid Bin Mohamed Al-Attiyah visited Hanoi on March 15, to meet Deputy Prime Minister Pham Gia Khiem in order to speed up the progress of several cooperative projects and programmes, including a showroom of Vietnamese goods in Qatar , agricultural projects and a joint investment fund between the two countries.
- H.H. The Father Emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani visited Vietnam in January 2012, strengthening bilateral cooperation between 2 countries in the fields of their strength, contributing to peace, cooperation and development in the world.
- H.E.Mr. Mohammed Bin Abdullah Bin Mutib Al Rumaihi, Assistant Foreign Minister of Qatar was in Ha Noi in February 2015.
- Deputy Prime Minister H.E.Mr. Nguyen Khanh visited Qatar in October 1993.
- Minister of Foreign Affairs H.E.Mr. Nguyen Dzy Nien attended the NAM Summit in Doha and visited Qatar in June 2005.
- Minister of Labor, War Invalid and Social Affairs H.E.Ms. Nguyen Thi Hang visited Qatar in September 2005.
- Minister of Planning and Investment H.E.Mr. Vo Hong Phuc visited Qatar in July 2007.
- President of State Capital and Investment Company Ms. Nguyen Thi Bang Tam visited Qatar in August 2007.
- Deputy Prime Minister H.E.Mr. Nguyen Sinh Hung visited Qatar in December 2007
- Vietnam Prime Minister H.E.Mr. Nguyen Tan Dung, is accompanied by Deputy PM-cum-Foreign Minister Pham Gia Khiem, Minister of Labour, War Invalids and Social Affairs Nguyen Thi Kim Ngan, Minister and Chairman of the Committee for Ethnic Minorities Giang Seo Phu, Minister of Agriculture and Ruaral Development Cao Duc Phat, Minister of Natural Resources and Environment Pham Khoi Nguyen, and other senior officials visited Qatar on March 2009.
- Minister of Construction H.E.Mr.Nguyen Hong Quan visited Qatar in May 2009.
- Deputy President H.E.Ms. Nguyen Thi Doan visited Qatar in Jun 2010.
- Minister of State for Foreign Affairs of Vietnam- HE Mr. Phạm Gia Khiêm visited Qatar in 2013.
- Deputy Prime Minister H.E.Mr. Nguyen Xuan Phuc joined Vietnam Days in Qatar in December 2014.
Economic & Commercial
Trade between the two countries reached around 264 million USD in 2014, of which Vietnam’s exports accounted for 20 million USD and imports accounted for 244 million USD. Vietnam’s exports to Qatar include seafood, rice, electric cables and wires, and wood products, while imports are liquefied gas, raw plastics and chemicals.
In the field of labor supply: there was 6,000 Vietnamese workers employed in Qatar ( 2012)
In the field of aviation: Qatar Airways opened straight flights between Ho Chi Minh city and Doha (4 flights/week) in March 2007, then expanded its operation to Hanoi from November 2009. Currently, Qatar Airways provide 7 flights/ week from Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh to Doha.
In the field of banking and finance: Qatar National Bank (QNB) opened its representative office in Ho Chi Minh City to stimule the “East-West” flows of trade between Qatar and Vietnam
In the field of Education: 2 scholarship on Arabic study will be granted to outstanding Vietnamese students every year.
Memorandum of Understanding in Economic, Cultural, Scientific and Technology Cooperation
- Memorandum of Understanding in cooperation between the Qatari Investment Fund and the State Capital Investment Corporation of Vietnam (2008 and 2012)
- Memorandum of Understanding in avoidance of double taxation and prevention of tax evasion
- An agreement of promotion and mutual protection of investment (2009)
- Agreement on Aviation cooperation (3/2009)
- A memorandum in the field of agriculture 2009
- Memorandum of Understanding in education, higher education and scientific research
- Memorandum of Understanding in corporation between Qatar Central Bank(QCB) and the State Bank of Vietnam
- An agreement on regulating the recruitment of Vietnamese workers in Qatar.